Wednesday, October 21, 2009

balancing the scales

Another update of goodness?

Sure.

Let me at least try to average out these posts. So far I'm at a 4:1 ratio for unhappiness. I've got a fair way to go to level the field.

After some rummaging around, I have found more images of life in Canada. Here.


Fruit platters. Yes, they get a mention. They are amazing. The grocery stores here really are all about convenience, and I have occasionally succumbed. This was my favourite purchase ever:



Aggressive storm clouds with chilly temperatures announced the arrival of fall:



Don't hate me, but I think North America has really got the market on celebrating the seasons. Fall is all about orange, about pumpkins and costumes and leaves and corn mazes and hay rides and apple cider. It is an exciting time of year, in contrast to autumn in New Zealand which is greeted with hesitation; it means a long winter with nothing to look forward to is on its way. It's so different here, the way the seasons are embraced:













I have been informed (and it has been demonstrated more than once) that I am cheek-pinchingly cute. I was not entirely impressed:



We visited the closed gates of a magical, fairy tale, story book garden and had fun anyway:





I met a chipmunk that was cuter than anything I'd seen to date:



And who knew that a place with "Bog" in its name could be so beautiful?



There was an attempt to convince me that there would come a time when I would enjoy life again:



I chased Canadian Geese which amounted to, well, nothing:




I baked cupcakes which were met with rave reviews:



This blue shame was endured...



...to provide access to this:





Niagara Falls was stunning, breath taking, mesmerising:







Look, a genuine laugh! Proof that I am still alive:



Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls was certainly an experience. Lights and sounds and smells everywhere. There was a visit to a haunted house where I screamed like a little girl, many many times.



Overall, the falls and surrounding attractions were a success. As you can see:



A picnic in the bitterly cold wind filled us up the next day...



...and gave us strength to create masterpieces later that evening. It was my first time and I was nervous, I was shy, I was scared of making a mistake...



...but after the first incision, I stopped worrying and really got stuck into it:



And finally! Michael's on the left (o_O) and mine on the right (grr).



Again, these are reminders that I am having a very little bit of fun here amidst all the not-fun.

But, it's just not enough.

1 comment:

  1. These things were so good. I'm so sorry it didn't cut it.

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete